Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2016

What Would Jesus Eat?


   I was walking around the tables, talking with the families who were lingering after a recent epic and legendary potluck lunch at Faith Lutheran Church, when one of the dads called me over.

   “Did Jesus eat vegetables?”, he asked?

   “That’s an interesting question,” I said.  “I’ll have to do some research on that one.”

   “My son and I were at the food table and I told him he had to take some raw vegetables,” the dad replied.  “He said, ‘Jesus didn’t eat vegetables.’”

   Ah, the beginning of theology!

   I think carrots were in question, specifically.

   So, I did some research and found, as I expected, that there were some references to Jesus eating and drinking in the Bible but that, in addition to those, he probably ate the food that was common at the time.

   Pomegranates, fish, honey, olive oil, olives, grapes, figs, vinegar, lamb and bread were likely part of his diet, as well as possibly figs, lentils, whole grains, and nuts.  Some people ate grasshoppers and crickets for snacks or for survival.  John the Baptist did!  But, no carrots.

   That would not, in my opinion, give the boy an exemption.

   The most important thing about Jesus is not how Jesus lived, or what he taught, or even what he ate. 

   The most important thing about Jesus, fully God and fully human being, is that he died to restore the relationship between us and God for which we were created.  That relationship changes everything.

   Would you like to find out more about Jesus and the personal relationship he offers you?  Come and worship with us this Sunday at Faith Lutheran Church at 8:30 a.m. or at 10:00 a.m.  We’re located at 505 East Bonita Avenue (one-half block east of the Post office) in San Dimas. 

   Find more information at www.faithsd.net.  Contact Pastor Berkedal at flc@faithsd.net or at 909 599-3978 if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment