Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2016

It's Enough


   I swam at the 36th annual (my 19th as a participant) Swim With Mike event last Saturday to raise funds for athletes who become physically challenged so that they can complete their education.  It was founded at USC by Mike Nyeholt after he was paralyzed from the neck down in a motorcycle accident. 

   Mike was a three-time All-American swimmer at USC, and his teammates held a fundraiser called “Swim For Mike”, in order to purchase a specially equipped van for him.   

   They raised more than was needed, so Mike asked that the additional money be put in a fund for other athletes who become physically challenged.  And he said that if they would do an event the following year, he would pull himself across the pool to help raise money for the fund. 

   By the next year, Mike had regained the use of his upper body.  He and Ron Orr, currently Senior Associate Athletic Director at USC, established the fund and “Swim With Mike” events began. Today, events are held all over the country.

    Swim With Mike has raised over $17 million dollars and has granted 187 scholarships to athletes in 60 sports at 91 universities.  For the past several years, they have raised over a million dollars at the day’s event.  You can find more information at www.swimwithmike.org.

   I waited at the edge of the pool for a woman to make her turn before I jumped in to swim my laps.  As she was swimming away I noticed that she was wearing only one swim fin.  Then I saw that she only had one complete leg.

   I had to push myself a little bit to keep up with her.

   Later, I saw that she had been a recipient of one of the Swim With Mike scholarships.

   That experience reminded me of two things.

   First, that when I don’t feel like going to a workout, or if my little aches and pains make me wonder if I don’t have a good excuse not to be in the pool, that people are adjusting to much greater challenges and doing amazing things.

   Second, it reminded me that it’s not lamenting what we don’t have, but doing what we can with what we do have that is the best stewardship. 

   For us, this means that what glorifies God is not wanting something more, but seeking what more we can do with what God has given us to share the good news of Jesus Christ.

   This messed-up world may not give us what we want.  But, what comes from God is always enough to do what God has called us to do.

   Would you like to know more about trusting God?  Come and worship with us this Sunday at 8:30 a.m. or at 10:00 a.m.  Contact us with questions at flc@faithsd.net or at 909 599-3978.  Learn more about us at www.faithsd.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment