Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Brother Like That

Jim Harbaugh, head coach of the San Francisco 49ers and John Harbaugh, head coached the Baltimore Ravens, faced each other in the 2013 Super Bowl (interesting side note: James and John are described in the Bible as brothers of Jesus). John’s team won.


I saw a report on The Today Show the next day of a news conference in which John Harbaugh described his brother as "the best coach in the NFL”. He said, “what he has done in past two years is incredible.” In fact he spoke mostly about his brother in that report.

It reminded me of the story of a man who was facing hard times and his car stopped working. He couldn’t afford to have it fixed. His brother stepped in and gave him a car.

Someone who heard that story exclaimed, “Wow, I wish …”

Let me pause here. I’d like to ask a question. I’d like to ask how you think that sentence ends?

I think most people would say, “I had a brother like that.”

The sentence, the way I heard it, ended “I could be a brother like that.”

Moving beyond our own interests to serving the needs of others is central in the Christian life. It living our response to what God has already done for us. “We love because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment