Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Front Porch

I read the other day that front porches are making a comeback. They are an increasingly popular addition to existing homes and are one of the most commonly requested elements for custom homes.
Why? Because people crave connections with living human beings. They long to be a part of a community again.
This blog by, by itself, is part of the reason people sense that something is missing. Many people find that online community, by itself, is isolating. They want something more.
Our worship life is both the expression and source of a living relationship with the living God. That relationship is expressed in the community that God forms for all the ministries at Faith Lutheran Church and at other churches that call upon God. It is more than we could ever accomplish.
My hope is that this blog will be an expression of our community in God, a place where we can reflect, tell stories, and share our true selves while keeping an eye on the children. I hope that it is a place where we can gather and invite others to join in as well.
Kind of like a front porch.

4 comments:

  1. Actually, the following was posted by Julie Henry, via email:

    "It is true! The front porch of our old house here in San Dimas is one of the best places in our home. We have met more people in the 20 years we have lived here when we have been just sitting out on our front porch--cooling off on a hot summer evening or enjoying a calm spring day. Our front porch makes us open to the world, not closed off inside, behind walls or out in the fenced-in backyard. Although I am very old-fashioned in many ways, I understand that technology may become a vehicle for our church to reach out to those who are isolated at home. I would much rather meet them via the front porch, but so many are wrapped up in email, facebook and texting mode...so perhaps this is the quickest way to connect!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great way to connect!
    I also wish I had a porch but I do hang out in the front while my kids ride their bikes and talk to my neighbors as they walk by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Porches are great. I feel very fortunate to have one. It faces East so when I get up I thank God for the new day and check the weather. I have had several conversations with neighbors. Lastly, I am able to watch the Western Day's Parade from it. I'm glad to hear they are making a come back.

    ReplyDelete