Search This Blog

Monday, October 12, 2020

(49) Therefore I Am

    (Note: This blog entry is based on the text for Therefore I Am, originally shared on September 21, 2020. It was the forty-ninth video for our YouTube Channel, Streams of Living Water (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB7KnYS1bpHKaL2OseQWCnw), co-produced with my wife, Rev. Sally Welch.)

   How do you know you exist? It seems obvious, but we are increasingly in isolation from our society, from one another, and from even ourselves. Who am I, and how can I know? We’re going to give you some tools for not only being certain of who you are, but more importantly your great value in whose you are, and why!

   A horse walks into a bar and says to the bartender, “Bring me a bourbon, and keep ‘em coming.” The bartender says, “Hey, aren’t you the same horse that’s been coming in here, ordering the same thing every day? Don’t you think you might be an alcoholic?”

   “No,” the horse says, “I don’t think I am.” And he disappears.

   Now to understand this joke, we’ve got to go back a few years, first to my Junior year in high school. OK, more than a few years. Mr. Carlton Lewis taught world history. Mr. Lewis is certainly among my top 10 best teachers (not necessarily my favorite teachers. I’ve found that my best teachers have not necessarily been my favorite teachers). I have had few teachers since then who have exposed me to more new ideas than Mr. Lewis.

   Each of us in the class had to choose an aspect of life in some century and bring a report to the class. I chose 17th Century European Philosophy.

   One of the philosophers of that era that made a deep impression on me was a French philosopher named Rene’ Descartes. He is most famous for his statement, in Latin, “Cogito ergo Sum”, or in English, “I think, therefore I am.”

   This is a well known answer, but what is the question? Well, thanks for asking.

   But first, let’s get back to the horse. I could have explained who Descartes was, and what he said, before I told that joke. But that would have been putting Descartes before the horse. <laugh button>.

   “I think therefore I am” is Descartes answer to some basic philosophical questions. Like, how do I know that I exist? How do I know that I am not just a character in someone else’s consciousness? Answer: “I think, therefore I am”.  And, is there any idea of which I can be certain? Answer: “I think, therefore I am,” because even if we doubt that statement, we know that we are doing the doubting. Therefore we exist.”

   We’ve had a lot of time lately to ponder these kinds of questions, haven’t we? What insights have helped you solve a problem, or sustained you during the pandemic? Share your answers below.

   The pandemic seems to be getting worse in LA county again, with a spike in cases that some attribute to a lack of precautions taken over the Labor Day Weekend, and some saying is because we are doing more testing. But, either way, there are more cases that we know of.

   We’re at a point now where our social isolation is taking an increasing toll on how we function as a society and how we see ourselves within our society. We are losing the ability to live together in any kind of diversity.

   We had, on top of everything else happening in 2020, an earthquake in our area last Friday. And, before we could absorb that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died over the weekend, creating a vacancy whose filling will even further polarize the national dialogue.

   One of the many things for which Justice Bader Ginsburg is being praised is her friendship with Justice Antonin Scalia, a conservative, on the other end of the ideological spectrum, serving on the same court. That kind of collegiality is rare today, and we are the poorer for its absence.

   Video calls and Zoom meetings are better than nothing for learning and practicing how to live within a community. You know, Covido ergo Zoom.

   And, I have to say, I think either we are getting used to them or they are getting better. Last night’s Emmys show was actually mostly funny and entertaining. But, for those of us of the Christian faith, who believe our lives are lived in relationship, to God and with one-another, the absence of the “with one another” life can become a challenge.

   The answer is a mystery. Not a mystery in the sense that it is a problem to be solved, but as a reality that can’t be resolved. We can only receive the answer to that mystery as a gift. It comes as a gift of God’s love, love shown to us on the cross. Love, in relationship with the one true living God, that mysteriously binds us together with all the baptized believers who have every existed, all who are alive today, and in a really weird way, with all those who have yet to be born. We are given the gift of faith. That is, a living relationship with the living God. There is no time in God.

*Psalm 8

   We are loved and valued by the one true living God! That is a wonderful thing to ponder.

   I remember going to visit an older member of the congregation I served in San Dimas who lived to be 98 years old. I came to see her one day when she was in her mid-nineties. She said that she had been spending a lot of time pondering.

   She remembered that when her father had become quite full of days he would sit in a chair and, when people asked him what he was doing he would say, “Pondering”. Our member said that she pondered many things, but recently she was pondering toothpaste. She was trying to remember when it was that she began to use toothpaste. She said that she thought it was some time during World War II.

   We’ve had a lot of time to ponder. How do I know I exist? What are human beings? Mere mortals?

*Genesis 1:26-27

   Here is how I know that I exist, and who I am, and that the answer is not centered on me. God created me. Therefore I am.

   Why did God create me? that is the question. The answer is for a living relationship with the one true living God. Among all the things being created in God's image means, that is the most important, because it gives me the answer to another question. Who am I? We answer it with another question, “Whose am I?”

   I am created by God. I am God's son or daughter, I am beloved by God.

*John 3:16

   We have a common identity even in our separation from one another. Nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus. That is our identity.

*Romans 8:31-39



No comments:

Post a Comment