Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

What's Your Calling?


   When I was a kid, there was a lot of talk about people being “called” to ordained ministry.  How had God called you to be a person set apart, a sort of professional Christian, a learned presence, a leader of Word and sacraments, a pastor?

   I struggled with this for a long time.  I knew I would be a Lutheran pastor from my earliest memory.  No one in my family had been a pastor.  No one pressured me or even suggested that I be a pastor.  I just knew that that’s what I would be.  How I came to an understanding of my calling is another story.

   For now, I’d just like to say that my story is not unique.  In fact it is just the opposite.

   Each of us has a calling.  It is the answer to the question, “What does God want me to do with my life?”

   The word vocation comes from a Latin word “vocare”, “to name or to call”.  “Vocal” comes from the same root word.

   God has called each of us to do certain things with our lives and given us the gifts we need to do them.  There are therefore no special callings.  Being a pastor is no more holier a calling than being a teacher or a business executive.  It’s just a different way of serving God.

   In fact, a sentence attributed to the 16th century Christian Church reformer Martin Luther,  advises, (in a time when only men could do such things.), “Send your good men to the ministry.  Send your best men into politics.”  Don’t we all wish that this was widely practiced today?

   What is your calling?  Come and worship with a bunch of people who are trying to understand and live their callings every day.

Come and worship with us this Sunday at Faith Lutheran Church at 8:30 a.m. or at 10:00 a.m.  We’re located at 505 East Bonita Avenue (one-half block east of the Post office) in San Dimas. 

   Find more information at www.faithsd.net.  Contact me at flc@faithsd.net or at 909 599-3978 if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment