Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Maya Angelou


   I prayed for Maya Angelou, and I believe she prayed for me.

   When I served as pastor of Christ Lutheran Church in Compton, my first call, I was asked to deliver the invocation at a Compton Community College Commencement ceremony where Maya Angelou was the guest speaker.  I had been serving on the Community Council for the president of the college, Dr. Abel Sykes (father of KABC newsperson Leslie Sykes).

   We stood next to each other as we waited for the ceremony to begin.  Many people wanted to meet her and exchange a few words.  But, there were a few minutes where she spoke with me.  She was just like she seemed in the media: genuine, gracious and filled with gravitas.  I thanked her for her poetry and her challenging and powerful influence for good.  She asked about the church I was serving and what we were doing together.  Then, shortly before the procession began to move she said, “Would you pray for me?”  I answered, “Yes, of course I will.”  She answered, “And I will pray for you.  And I mean that very seriously.”

   I believe she did, as did I.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment