Search This Blog

Monday, June 21, 2021

124 To Remember

    (Note: This blog entry is based on the text for “To Remember”, originally shared on June 21, 2021. It was the 124th video for our YouTube Channel, Streams of Living Water (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB7KnYS1bpHKaL2OseQWCnw), co-produced with my wife, Rev. Sally Welch.)

   What are your earliest memories? Your most important and meaningful? Your worst? Your best? What role does memory have in making you who you are, and what is the role of memory in the Christian life?

   I was thinking the other day about all the numbers I need or want to remember, like my cell phone number, Sally’s cell phone number, our son’s cell phone number, our home phone number, our alarm system code, my ATM pin number, my locker combination, my Marine Corps MOS, my zip code, and the zip codes of the places I’ve lived, served, or went to school.

   Passwords usually contain numbers. I need to remember my desktop, my laptop, and my notebook passwords just to access the over 100 other passwords I have stored in them because I can’t remember them all. I remember the addresses of all the homes we lived in growing up in Wisconsin, and the addresses of the churches I served and the homes we lived in when I served there.

   My memory is still fairly good, though I find learning vocabulary words for other languages is not what it used to be. At my age, I think about what would happen if I started losing it.

   But, there are benefits. Have you ever heard the Senility Prayer? "God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference."

   I asked one of my doctors about Prevagen, or another memory supplement you see being advertised on the shows you watch in commercials that are designed for people like you. That’s how you know you are watching in your own demographic. She said, exercising your mind is the best way to maintain mental capacity.

   If you are literate, if you can read and write, chances are that your memory is not as developed as someone who is illiterate. If you can’t write down what you need from the grocery story, you have to remember it. I remember one of my seminary professors, who was from Finland and an older man then, who remembered a choir of herders and farmers from the outer regions of Finland singing scripture from memory for 6 hours. They could do that because they were all illiterate. They couldn’t read, but they had learned instead to depend upon their memories.

   What is your earliest memory? I think mine is waking up in the morning in our little house on 6th street and running into my parents’ bedroom to see the baby kicking in my mom’s tummy. I was probably 3 a the time, or maybe 4. Beyond that, I’m not sure if my memories are of actual events or if I’m remembering stories someone told about that time, or a photograph I remember seeing.

   Maybe you’ve seen the T-shirt that says, “The older I get, the better I was.”

   Memory is a funny thing. In Alex Trebek’s last autobiography he quoted Mark Twain as saying, “At my age, the only things I remember never happened.

   I was talking with one of my brothers a few months ago and I shared one of my favorite stories about him. He said, “That never happened.” I think he’s getting forgetful.

   Well, that’s why we have historians, even though they often disagree. Even historians of contemporary events disagree. We are all polarized, and we tend not to see things as they are. We see things as we are.

   It’s been said, I think it was Erwin Knoll the journalist, that everything in the newspapers is true except that of which you have firsthand knowledge. Have you ever watched a speech on TV and then heard the reporting of it and wondered if you heard the same speech?

   I believe that it comes down to who you trust.

   Why do some people wind up just reading or seeing or listening to news sources that support what they already believe about the world? There’s even a name for that: confirmation bias. It’s easier.

   <sigh>  I guess that even nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

   So, how do we know what it true?

   One way is by remembering.

   Remembering, in the Bible, isn’t about an individual recalling an event. It is the act of a community to enliven someone who is no longer living on the earth.

   It’s closely connected to the idea of a “name”.

   If we were asked where the essence of a person is to be found, we might say it is their “heart”, or their soul or spirit.

   In the ancient world, however, it was in their “name”.

   To say or do something in the “name” of God, for example, was not to use the word “God” as a magical formula to force God to do something. It meant to say or do something that was in the reality of God’s presence within you, to do God’s will.

   In the ancient world, remembering someone’s name or reading it brings their essential reality to life. Speaking one’s name carries with it the substance of someone, dead or alive, in such a way that a whole community of people can be touched.

   That’s why God doesn’t have a proper name. To know God’s name would be to know God’s essence, and therefore to have control over God, and that’s inconceivable.

   All we can know about God is what God reveals to us, and God reveals God’s self to us in Jesus Christ.

   Remembering, in the Bible, means not just to recall, but to do something, as in

*Malachi 4:4   Remember the teaching of my servant Moses, the statutes and ordinances that I commanded him at Horeb for all Israel.”

    When God “remembers”, God acts with regard to persons to show mercy or judgement, protection or affliction.

As in Paul quoting Jeremiah in

*Hebrews 8:12   “For I will be merciful toward their iniquities and I will remember their sins no more.”

   On the night before he was betrayed to the authorities, Jesus celebrated a meal in which he recast the history of God’s liberating power for His people in the acts of his crucifixion and death for the sins of humanity.

   Paul writes in 1 Corinthians 11, starting at the 23rd verse:

*1 Corinthians 11:23-26 “23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, ‘This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.’ 25 In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.’ 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.”

   When Jesus says, “Do this in remembrance of me”, he is calling for an enlivening of God’s action of self-revelation to the world, God’s action in Jesus Christ, fully God and fully human being. As Jesus says in

*John 3:16  “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life”

   Jesus did not command a memorial meal. Jesus invited us to enter into communion with the living presence of the living God here and now. Jesus commanded a meal that is, as A. G. Herbert described it, “a bringing back out of the past into the present” not of our sins but of His sacrifice that took them away. A meal that brings the reality of Jesus, of Him crucified and risen victorious over death through death, to the reality of our present time.

   Jesus took his bread and wine and declared them to be his body and blood, inviting us to eat and drink our bread and our wine as an action that brings his sacrifice, done once for all and unrepeatable, into our living selves, our whole persons, in God’s present living power.  We accomplish none of this. It is God’s action and the gift of God for you.

   All that is required of us is a believing heart.

   Today, I invite you to remember, to open your heart, your true self, to receive the presence of the one true living God in the eternal now.

   Some say that we never truly die as long as we exist in someone’s memory. Christians say that we die in our baptisms and rise to new, eternal life in Jesus Christ. That life is made real for us, made manifest for us, in Holy Communion. If you haven’t been baptized, seek it at your church, or find one to receive the living reality of the one true living God that makes of us something that endures forever, a new creation in God’s real, living presence. And if you haven’t had your first communion, seek that out to experience the real presence of God in the forms of bread and wine, for you.

   When Jesus said, “Do this in remembrance of me”, he wasn’t saying “remember me so that what I did won’t be forgotten”. He was saying receive me. Receive the real presence of me in the forms of bread and wine, receive the gift of life in the forgiveness of your sin so that you will know me now and forever.

   Beyond our varying natural abilities to memorize, we remember what is important to us, at any age.

   I did a Children’s Sermon once, maybe twice, that I stopped because I realized it might be embarrassing for the parents, which was not my intention.

   I sat down with the children who were usually between toddler and 12 or so and I asked, “Where did Moses get the 10 commandments?” Nothing. “Where did Jesus grow up?” Nobody. Which disciple is best known for doubting” Crickets. “Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?” SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS!!!

   Remembering, in the Biblical sense, means repentance. It means a shift in what is important to us. It means turning away from the things that are killing us and turning toward the one true living God. Of abiding in God’s presence and being changed, of becoming a new creation, being born again, and of living from the inside out.

   To remember means to know the reality of God’s living presence in the forms that God gives us by God’s agency.

   In Holy Communion we commune with the one true holy God and we know forgiveness, life, and salvation. We do so because in Holy Communion is God’s gift of salvation, in the living reality, in remembrance of Jesus Christ.

   To remember Jesus is to receive him. Therefore, proclaim his death, his death that brings life, and remember/ receive him until he comes.



No comments:

Post a Comment